FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The United States District Court for the District of New Mexico has implemented the following protocols to minimize the heath risks associated with the spread of the Coronavirus which has led to the declaration of a Public Heath Emergency in the State of New Mexico. At this time, there are no changes in court operations, except as follows.
- The decision to hold hearings and trials will be at the discretion of each presiding Judicial Officer. If there are changes or cancellations, the affected parties will be notified.
- All courthouse tours and other non-court related activity are cancelled for all locations until further notice.
- The Open House recognizing the confirmation of U.S. District Judge Kea W. Riggs, scheduled for March 20, 2020 at the Pete V. Domenici U.S. Courthouse in Albuquerque has been postponed. A new date will be announced.
- The Naturalization Ceremony scheduled in Las Cruces, NM for March 20, 2020 is cancelled. Individuals scheduled to take their oath at this ceremony should work with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to discuss other avenues for taking their oath.
Courthouses in the district will remain open during regular court business hours. However, individuals should consider the following prior to entering court facilities:
- Over the past two weeks have you developed flu-like symptoms such as a cough, a fever, or shortness of breath?
- Have you traveled outside the U.S. within the last 30 days?
- Have you been diagnosed with, or in contact with, anyone who has been diagnosed with a COVID-19 infection?
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions and your business with the court is not urgent, you will not be permitted access.
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions and you have a scheduled appointment or are otherwise required to appear at one of the courthouses, please contact the appropriate party prior to your scheduled appointment:
- If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney;
- If you are an attorney and are scheduled to appear in court before a judge, please contact that chambers directly (contact information may be found on the court’s website at www.nmd.uscourts.gov);
- If you are a juror, please contact the Jury Division at 505-348-2070;
- For other District Court matters, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 505-348-2000.
For the latest information on the Coronavirus, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at https://www.cdc.gov/.